Tuesday, October 16, 2018

TriathaMom 2018

This was my 3rd sprint Triathlon.  
I did the local TriathaMOM. I dedicated the race to my Dad. 
When I signed up in January I didn't exactly have a story. Just a life goal to do at least one triathlon each year to keep my mind and body happy and healthy. Feb 7th my world was rocked when my Dad unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack. This has been the hardest thing to work through in my life. One of the difficulties of my grief was the shock of my Dad just not being here anymore. He was in pretty good health. There was no closure with his family at his bedside while he passed (not that would have been easy either). A tear in his aorta during his heart attack just took him from us. I miss him and love him so much. Our relationship was wonderful with no regret and nothing ever left unsaid but I am still so so sad that he isn't here with me and our family. Training for this race has been incredibly therapeutic. I have put my energy towards being the best me and to "tri" to keep moving. When I don't want to run anymore or pedal any further I think of my Dad. I say to myself, "I am my fathers daughter and he is cheering for me." Somehow the strength comes to help me. I will be wearing his picture during the race with a note that reads, "I "tri" to live better because he is my Dad." I dedicate my race to my Dad, Steven John Stark. I will give my medal to my Mom when I am done to help remind her how wonderfully strong and awesome she is. She has been amazing and supportive to me and all my siblings especially during her own grief. I have such cool parents.  This is my 3rd race. I'd like to beat my time and have fun. But more importantly I want to help inspire other women. I want to remind them by cheering along side them that they have greatness inside of them. Whatever “hard” they are working through they can “tri” to keep moving and they are awesome!!

Race Report
I got all my stuff ready the night before. As prepared as I seemed I was still nervous and excited but did my best to sleep. I woke up at 6 and rolled out of bed and grabbed my stuff and hit the road. I ate on the way there, a banana and PB&J. I feel so fortunate to be nearby most races in Utah. I only had to drive 15 minutes away. 
There is only one transition area for this race so I got in and set up my stuff then walked around and chatted with all the ladies, got my marks, a few more trips to the bathroom (nervous bladder)

I asked to be at the front of my swim wave because I had a funeral I needed to get to (a good friends Dad had passed away). More motivation to race fast. LOL. Everyone was super nice about it. I got in the water and started my swim. This year the swimming waves were so well organized and ran so smooth. I could hear one of my friends hollering my name as I swam. I needed it. I was really doing this again. I swam the 300 Meters in 8.49. I booked it to my transition spot and didn't dry off enough because I had trouble getting my socks on. I hopped on the bike and started my ride. I love riding my bike. It is my strongest area and with my new bike this year I was excited to fly. The biking was smooth, a few hills, some steep but most not. At one point I heard a girl holler, "You are slaying this." I needed the boost. Heck yeah I thought, I am Stephanie the Triathalon slayer!!!!! I talked to myself out-loud the entire race. At one point another girl overheard me and thought I was talking to her. LOL we both got an emotional boost in that moment. I kept hydrated and used some gel squeezy things for nutrition. They were sticky and made a bit of a mess so I don't think I will use them again. I loved the way I felt as I biked. I can go so fast with the new bike and the fire I was feeling inside. I finished the 12 mile bike in 38.37.  The transition from bike to run is always a fast one. I had my phone playing music in my bra. I didn't want to look at the clock but decided too. I was making amazing time. I texted my husband to let him know I was on the run and would make it to the funeral on time. I ran and ran and talked to myself and cheered other women as we passed. The run was smooth and flat with only one switch back and the front and the end. At the end the song in my bra was This Is The Greatest Show. I ran with a wide stance to get up the switch back and to keep a good pace. I conquered the switch back and 100 feet later sprinted through the finish line into one of the arms of the directors. I cried and cried. I didn't know that I would. I finished the 5K run in 28.02. I couldn't believe how fast I did the race this year. I was motivated in part by a scheduled funeral but I really felt like the fire inside kept me flying. I LOVED IT! I cried tears of joy and sorrow for how hard this year has been. Training for this race has really helped me work through my grief. It was done and I was so exhausted but so so happy. Total time with transitions was 1:19.20. See pic below for all times from the past 3 years. 
Trying a jump but ended up looking like a bow. 
After taking a few pics and grabbing some post race food I loaded the truck with my things and bike and headed home. Would you believe I got flat on the way to the truck. I am glad it didn't happen while in the race (my biggest fear ever). I got showered and dressed and then went to a funeral. I was all emotions there. I was so proud and happy for my hard work and accomplishment just now but also really sad in mourning for the loss my dear friend was experiencing. The funeral was lovely and visiting with our friends was comforting. After that we crashed. I was so exhausted I felt like I could sleep for days. 





I took a few days of long recovery before doing any strenuous workouts. I love the race high but what goes up must come down. A week or so afterwards I crashed emotionally for a few days. To help with that I set some new goals. I want to do an indoor triathlon this winter, an Olympic distant (Daybreak), improve my swimming, and of course do the TriathaMom but with more women. I plan on starting a group of women and helping them see how great they are. Even if they don't want to do the entire race I can help get them set up on the relay portion and then we can train together virtually and in the flesh. I also want to try and do the Spudman Triathlon one day. 


I love racing so much! Its hard to describe exactly why each year. I love what they make me feel as I try hard to be the best me. Below is a blurb someone shared on one of the triathlon groups I am in. It sums up a bit of how I feel and why I am addicted to racing. 


"Welcome to endurance tri! It is not unlike pregnancy! Seriously! You register and immediately think, “What did I do??? I cannot tell anyone!!!” Then you accept it and tell EVERYONE!!! Everyone thinks you are a bad a$$ and maybe a bit nuts. You love it. Then you start ramping up training, until kids, job, life, hubby, weather start hijacking your perfect training schedule. Guess what- race day, not unlike birth day, is coming whether you like it or not. It may hurt like holy hell, you will swear never again, and you will give your soul just to make it end...and then the baby is in your arms and the finish is behind you and you know you will do it again. These moments are worth the sacrifice and pain and self doubt. Plus, you are teaching your kids a healthy lifestyle. Get a puller that you can put on your bike or push on a run and time training around nap time. You can run nearly half the distance and get the same effect when pushing weight!!! Bless the darlings’ souls - they continue to grow and force you to increase your impact and strength!"
#whyitri
#bethebestme

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say What?