Thursday, July 2, 2009

Life Is A Pitch...Then You Buy!

This week has been a sad week in Hollywood. Many people have moved on to the next life. I guess when it rains it pours. Many of them were very talented and their legacy will live on. Of all these people I will this person the most.

"Hi, Billy Mays here!....Here's how to order!"
1958-2009

Yep, that's right, I am going to miss Billy Mays more than Michael Jackson. Though I love Michael's music and I know that will live on forever, recently Billy Mays has found a special place in my heart. When I heard the news of his death I was more surprised and almost teared up a bit. Sounds lame, but here is why.

Lars and I have been watching the first season of Pitchmen on Discovery Channel. The show is about pitchmen veteran's Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan finding new inventions to market and the process the product goes through from start to finish. Many inventors dreams are coming true because of Billy and Sully. All their sacrifice to make a difference in everyday life finally has a pay off because someone believed in them enough to take a chance on their product. I guess I really like this aspect of the show because that is where Lars and I are at in our lives right now. We had a pretty steady thing going for us in Utah, but we gave it up for our big dream. It has been a huge sacrifice on many levels, but we are pushing through with hope and faith that someone else will believe in us and take a chance on our talents.

Another thing I like most about the show is it gives the viewer an inside look at the behind the scenes of production. When I was in college I did a lot of behind the scenes work for theatre productions and almost got a job with the production company that did "The Little Giant Ladders". I wasn't able to take the job because they wanted full time and I was still school. Production work is tough, but so fun and there is a great feeling of satisfaction and camaraderie when finished. I am fascinated by production and all that it entails. This show gave me a detailed look at TV production. Something I hope to be involved in someday.


This show also gives the viewer a peek into the daily life of a Pitchmen. I have respect for Pitchmen. It is a lot of work and sacrifice from the beginning to the end. Many people have it as a talent and I appreciate all that they do because like Billy Mays, it makes a difference to the television world and in our economy. He may have been very loud and excited to sell us stuff, but it was effective and he stood by his products. Billy Mays broke the mold when he came out of it. He will be missed.

For more information on Pitchmen go to: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/pitchmen/pitchmen.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say What?