Saturday, November 13, 2010

Adventure Time with Stephanie

I am currently in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I traveled here for work, but in my down time I am exploring and having some "Me" time. My first impression of Florida...it is so beautiful and I love the smell of the air. There are huge cruise ships within site. I really like the area I am staying in. It is giving me a wonderful culture experience. I am staying in a hotel that is right next to the river that seeps into the ocean. The ocean front is a few miles away. I think I am in a district called Las Olas or River Front. I haven't figured that out yet. All I can tell is that there is always something going on here. My first night in they were having a concert that they blocked off the roads for. The next day they had a festival and a Night Light Walk for the Cure (Leukemia). Tomorrow they are having a marathon. At the festival they had the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile. Yep. I got a picture with it.


But this place really comes alive at night. A large number of the hot spots surrounding my hotel don't open until 8 pm and close at 5 am. If I had to liken it to another place I know... picture a mixture of San Diego (Gas Lamp District) and Hunting Beach but with much older people and most of the women are in short cocktail dresses (annoyed grumble like Sideshow Bob). But hey, I guess that is the culture here and I am soaking it in.

One thing that I absolutely love so far...is the variety of food! Sorry SoCal, but you mostly have a variety of Mexican food and some sushi, but there is still time for you to change that and for me to discover I am sure. However, currently when I want something other than Mexican I have to go fishing for it and travel a bit. This part of Florida has all sorts of food and it is all within a few blocks of my hotel. I went on a walk and I found sushi, Asian, Japanese, American, Mexican, Italian, and lots of French food. It is all so close to me. I love it and cannot wait to try most of it. I am for sure going to get sushi and find a Cuban restaurant.

As for the "Me" time, when I am not working I am exercising, reading, playing on the computer, and getting a taste of Fort Lauderdale. I am having fun and wish Lars was here to share the experience. Until I get to hug him again I will have a blast of an adventure. I have only been here two days and there is still lots more food to eat and things to see. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to Florida, but I've been really wanting to go.

    Sounds like you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Say What?