Tuesday, August 22, 2017

TriathaMOM 2017

I am a second year triathlete. 
You can read about the first year here. I was really wide eyed during my first race. I learned a lot and had a blast. My second year my main goal was to beat last years time. My tiny goals were to conquer a few hard spots along the course. I decided to train a little bit harder and do some research on how to decrease my time. For me, I felt like I could have the most impact on my time with better transition times. So I got a game plan together and minimized what I was using during the race and then practiced using only those things. This had a huge impact on my time. 

I wasn't able to swim much this year in my training but I did bike, run, and lift weights weekly. At the beginning of the summer one day a week I would rehearse biking, transition, and running. For one of my weight lifting classes I focused on my back and core. This was awesome as it helped strengthen my knees. My knees are something I have had issues with. I don't think I will ever really run much competitions but I always want to be able to do tri races. I really felt a positive difference this year from lifting weights and focusing more on being healthy and strong versus skinny. More on that in another blog post. 

When you do races (timed or not) it is so much more than getting ready psychically. There is a huge mental side to it. I was confident I would finish because I had before. I did struggle with feeling ready to do better. There were lots of training days that I felt discouraged or dissatisfied with my time. I was constantly pep talking myself. You must be positive and kind to yourself people!! A week before the race I totally broke down to some friends about how nervous I was about my expectations. I still wanted to have fun and not be bummed if I didn't meet my goals. They were so awesome and reminded me that I could do it not just from a logically point of view but from a "hey girl, you've got this, be cool" point of view. 

My family was also right behind me, especially my son. He would talk to me about the race and showed his support constantly. Not to mentioned the family living without me for a few hours each week while I ran off to train. 

Race day game and I nailed it guys. I totally did. I was nervous but I turned some of it into excitement. My sister in law, Kristina, had also signed up so I wasn't alone. We got a prime spot in the transition area and hung out together. I met some amazing women and heard their stories and tried to reassure their fears. We got our numbers, they gave us a pep talk, and off we went. I tried to sing and breath the entire time to keep myself and others going. 

The swim went really well, I do need to work on this area next year I think. My favorite part of the swim was when I got to the end and I used all my upper body strength to push myself out of the pull. I felt like a swamp monster emerging out of the water in all my scary glory.  My transition from swim to bike was awesome. I had a pouch attached to my bike that I kept things in that I could put on once I started biking. SO I had to worry about was my tri-top, socks, shoes, and helmet. I also used energy gels to boost myself physically. My bike isn't the best but it goes. On the bike ride there is a switch back with a steep hill. Last year I had to get off my bike and walk this. NOT THIS YEAR BABY! I was able to stand ride on my bike and conquer the hill. I was so happy and proud. For the last 2 miles I switched to the hardest gear on my bike and just speed home. Transition from bike to run was easy. Lars and the kids were there to cheer me on and I loved hearing their voices and seeing the sign we made. I wanted to hug them but I kept on moving. For the run I read that even if your legs are tired just move your arms and your legs will follow. I wanted to jog the entire run and this helped. I didn't stop once. There is also a steep switch back on the run and I was able to conquer this!! WAHOOOOO!!! I pretended I was running from zombies and I pretended to be running to my family. I sang, "Ain't no mountain high enough..." I met some awesome ladies on the run and helped teach them who Ryan Gosling was. They had inspiring signs up throughout the race to keep us going and one was a pic of Ryan and the ladies didn't know who he was. LOL! At the finish line I saw my family once again. I wanted to rest so bad but I wanted to finish strong even more. I crossed the balloon arc and touched it on my way there. I got there and put my hands up and then just started crying. I was SO SO happy and proud. Proud of my efforts and hard work, proud for not giving up, proud for doing hard things. I didn't care what my time was I was just so happy. They handed me a metal and a certificate and ripped off my time chip. I was so high and so tired. I walked around at the booths for a bit then got some food and a massage and hugs from my family. Words can't really describe how I felt. I was just happy. My grateful cup was full, my I can do anything in the world was full, my Mom cup was full, my Stephanie cup was full. I was on cloud 9 the rest of the day and felt more patience with my family. The house could have burned down and I would have just been so happy still. :) 

This event really is life changing. There are some cool physically and health perks do doing a race. When you do something hard it is so amazing for your heart and mind...SO AMAZING!!!! I know I can do anything and I know that you can do anything you want. So get your mind out of your way and do it. & IT can be anything you want, a race, a goal, ANYTHING!! Even if you don't do it perfectly just do it!!!  I feel like this year the logistics of the race were so much more smoother. Last year was good and I don't have anything to compare it too but this year was AWESOME!!! 

I cannot wait until next year!!!!
Check out their website for more about this race
https://www.gotriathamom.com/

Enjoy these photos and videos from this experience. Last year I didn't take my phone with me because I wanted to be in the moment. This year I kept it with me. 
 My little biggest fan.
 My age and bib number


 My sister in law Kristina, and my new friend Melissa. 
 Pre-race photo
 I love jumping shots 

A bit of the transition area 

I put a big red bow by my bike so I could find it in the crowd. Some people used balloons. Its a great idea for a quick transition 
 My simple transition set up. 
 We look awesome!!!

 WAHOOO I DID IT!!


Our post race photo!!!!

My friend Karin from out of town was visiting and stopped by and was kind enough to take some pics of me on the podium.  
 Walk like and Egyptian

 Looks like I'm carrying invisible luggage. 

 Jumping shot
 Read this!!!!!
Congratulations on successfully completing Triathamom 2017. This certificate proves that you can do whatever you set your beautiful mind to. 
The holder of the certificate has shown competence and skill in being simply amazing and deserves mad props. 
TRUE STORY!!!
My time comparison from last year. I did GREAT!!! 


A post wouldn't be a post without...
These little munchkins are my reasons for being. 
Along with this handsome devil which I clearly don't have enough pics of. 

Thanks for the love and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say What?