Wednesday, June 12, 2013

2nd Shift

This week I have been working the 2nd shift at my job. Usually I work 8-5 but I am covering for a shift at 3 pm-11:30 pm until they hire someone. I am trying to have a good attitude about it and see the perks of this shift. As I was getting ready for the day this morning, still at my normal time of 7:00 am, I was thinking about how much this shift really sucks no matter how I sugar coat it. Oh sure when there is no work to be done I get paid to read, talk on the phone, exercise, play on pinterest and facebook, blog (like this post as an example, in fact I have blogged 5-10 times a day this week). That is all fun. I am getting a lot of me time caught up. But in the process I am sacrificing other time with my family. Normally, Lars and I drop Roan off at daycare, work, then we all come home and party hard before bed.

Now I still get up with Lars, because that is when Roan gets up too. I play with Roan (which I absolutely love and appreciate out of all this), while he naps I do stuff around the house, make my lunch which is also Lars' dinner, load up the car at 2:30 to drop Roan off to daycare then go to work. Lars picks up Roan after 6 pm and heads home to take care of the evening routines of dinner, playtime, bath, miss Mommy, and bed. I roll into the house by midnight and tip toe around the house to spy on both boys sleeping and then crawl into bed myself. There isn't much traffic so travel time is at a minimun. I am pretty good at going to sleep right away but I am tired by 10:30 and this is my 3rd day on this shift.
A while ago I was looking for and applying for 2nd or 3rd shift jobs so we could avoid the expense of daycare. But when it came time to proceed and be serious about it it never felt right. Now I know why. Aside from my days being so long I miss Lars. I miss Roan and Lars and together family time. This week I have only seen Lars an hour each day. I do not know how some families function this way. I have a brother and his wife who do just that. They each work shifts so one of them is always with the kids. I have so much respect for their sacrficie to make it work. Lars and I still chat throughout the day as we always do. But I really miss my face to face time with him. SO kudos to the families who live like this and do their best to make it work.

It is not for me at all.

On another note about face to face time...times have sure changed when it comes to courting. I know I sound so old fashion saying that. I am a child of the 80's but kids now and days. LOL. There is this girl I work with who is a few years younger than me. She is recently divorced and has been dating lately. I hear all about that and more. I won't bore you with all the details she won't stop talking about. One thing though is that she is constantly texting 1-4 boys at once and narriating to all of us in the office about it. She asks for advice and plays these silly getting to know you games. What happened to a face to face dates to figure out if you like someone. Seesh it is all so crazy and made me grateful for a bunch of things. 1) Glad I married my best friend, 2) Even though texting was around when I was young and dating it didn't replace face to face courting. Good Golly Miss Molly!!

1 comment:

  1. I like it when hubby works a late shift but that is because I like being home alone.........I like a quite house........would I like to work that shift myself no bloody way...........lol

    ReplyDelete

Say What?