Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Little Brother

When I was 12 years old I went with my Mom to a week long BYU Music Workshop. I don't think they have these anymore. While there I met an 8 year old boy named Brandon. He and I felt like the only kids there, probably because we were. We hung out and took a lot of classes together. I found out that he was the oldest in his family and didn't have any sisters. Seeing as how I was the youngest in my family and didn't have any little brothers we adopted each other. He introduced me to his Mom, Wendy, and all three of us became instant friends in that short week. We kept in touch as pen pals and then when email rolled around we kept in touch more.

They lived in Arizona and I in Michigan and then later on Utah. A few times we got to see each other when they were up visiting their families in Utah. The meet ups were always brief but amazing. 

I consider Wendy to be another Mom and Brandon a little brother to me. Then when I got married I sent them an invitation but knew it was very unlikely they would be able to attend. But the most amazing things happened. They surprised me and planned their family vacation around my wedding. I cried when they walked through the door. How fitting to have my 2nd Mom and little brother able to attend.

Then Brandon was old enough to go on a mission. I so wanted to go to his missionary farewell in AZ but was a very poor college student. Because they have so much family in Utah Wendy and her busband dropped Brandon off at the MTC and had a huge party for him before that. I got to go and see him off. Believe it or not we wrote each other here and there during his mission. That was 4-5 years ago. 

Fast forward to today. He is a college graduate from BYU. :) Wendy came up to help him in his last semester because he was recovering from untimely surgery. They stayed a few blocks from where I was living. I jumped for joy at the chance to see them both again. 

Here we are at our reunion in between the Saturday general conference in April. 






I love them both so much and am so glad I got to see them and they got to meed Roan. Roan was smitten by them both. Usually he takes a good 10 minutes to warm up but with them he jumped right into hugs and play time. That is what you do when you are around family. :)

Love you guys and I can't wait to see you again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say What?